REC Vol. 01

Friday, March 30, 2007

Where else can you find a guy who gets to score with a girl in the first episode/chapter? Matsumaru Fumihiko is the man! And the (poor and really cute) girl is Aka Onda. But don’t be fooled, this explosive start actually sets up the plot for the romantic and somewhat realistic relationship between Matsumaru and Aka.

Aka is an aspiring voice actress while Matsumaru works for a sweets company. The story is a diversion from your usual highschool love comedy and would definitely appeal to the working class like yours truly. A story of two persons struggling with their work and dreams somehow takes a more mature and realistic tone. REC surprisingly delivers this in a light manner. It has its share of funny scenes but you’ll see something deeper. You’ll see conflict and misunderstandings brought about by common demands and frustrations of work.

I’ve already watched the 9-half-episode anime which covered vol. 1 of the manga and expanded it a bit. I haven’t heard of any sequel so I guess we’ll just have to read the manga for the rest of the story. The anime was short but mini series seem to be more appealing to me like Hantsuki. Maybe because I don’t really have the luxury of time to watch a naruto-bleach sort of anime. Anyway artwork in the manga is ordinary but characters are distinctly drawn. Matsumaru reminds me of a younger Koshiro (Koi Kaze). Aka is simple which suits her character.

Overall, I really like it. If you want a break from the usual highschool story but want to retain the romantic element, then try this one.

Posted by shinji at 1:01 AM

4 comments:

I haven't seen the anime for this but I do have it somewhere. I think I'll watch it sooner or later though.

Anonymous said...
March 30, 2007 at 7:03 PM  

The anime has only 9 half episodes so it won't take much of your time. It's quite good really for a mini series ^_^

shinji said...
March 30, 2007 at 11:26 PM  

I really liked it. We never do get to see how life is for voice actresses, and even if they romanticized it a bit here, they still did a good job with it. :3

Anonymous said...
March 31, 2007 at 9:08 AM  

That's true, we get to see how the industry for voice actors/actresses works ^_^

shinji said...
April 1, 2007 at 7:02 AM  

Post a Comment